I would definitely describe myself as a reader - not least because it sounds more intellectual than a bookworm which is what I used to get called! I try to read at least a book a week and then read the weekend papers (Guardian/Observer) and then Guardian or BBC online during the week, plus The Week magazine as a good round up of the news.
I will read most fiction but prefer historical fiction or any novels set abroad. I am a strictly one at a time type reader - my treat for finishing a difficult book is getting to start a new book. Currently reading A Tale of Two Cities as I try to throw in some classics, although I mostly read modern literature. Once in a blue moon I'll read some trashy novels e.g. Chick Lit / Dean Koontz but need an excuse like a long plane journey - even then I feel a bit dirty! I choose books based on recommendations - from friends or from Amazon, literary award winners, what I know I 'ought' to read, and what's in the 3 for 2 deals! I'm in a book club so enjoy reading books I would never have considered or come across through that. I also always keep a list on me of books that I want.
Buying books is my luxury - I buy far too many to read. I love impulse purchases - online or browsing in shops at the weekends. When I'm feeling broke then I go hunting in charity shops. I would never give my books to charity though! Very rarely reread books as there's still so much I haven't read. Can't remember the last time I read a hardback - I mostly read on my commute so just too big and heavy. I also love giving books to other people - I think that books make for a really thoughtful gift.
Friday, 24 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment