Friday, 24 July 2009

reading habits

OK, I’ll start with the questions too.

I read books mainly, and a few magazines (The Word, Vanity Fair every month, Rolling Stone, NME, Q, Premiere, Les Inrocks less regularly).

I read news and reviews online.

I always carry a book with me, but will abandon it for a few days when the new Vanity Fair / Word comes out.
I read books on the bus, in the car (at the red light), at home, on the train, in parks, in the queue to the cinema, in coffee shops and sometimes when I’m walking.

I only read online for a short while, as a 5min break from whatever it is I’m doing or if someone has emailed me a link. I also read articles picked by the people I follow on Twitter. Oh, and I read a few blogs I subscribe to, usually on my Blackberry on my way to work or back.

I read fiction mainly, although I love Jon Ronson, Malcolm Gladwell and Joe Queenan’s books.

I choose books based on friends’ recommendations, ‘families’ of authors or endorsement from writers I love (I got into Siri Hustvedt through Paul Auster, Nicola Krauss through Jonathan Safran Foer, Robertson Davies and Alice Munro through John Irving…), articles I’ve read, sometimes even great covers. I love spending time in bookshops browsing. I don’t wait until I have finished a book to buy the next one. I just buy books and always have a pile to pick from, depending on my mood.
I only buy hardbacks if it’s a new book by a favourite writer and I can’t wait until the paperback comes out.

I love recommending books to friends, and buying books for them. Same as with music and films. And I follow recommendations from friends with similar tastes.
If I discover a writer I like, I will read every book they’ve written, often back to back, to catch up on what I’ve missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment